November 27, 2014

"Thankful" = "Happy"?

Hello again, old friend. It seems my little break turned into a 50-day complete absence.
I hadn't exactly intended for that to happen.
Seeing as it's Thanksgiving Day, I thought it fitting to return to my beloved blog and start plunking away at the keys once again. I'm actually getting a little nostalgic just now. :')

I took a fabulous idea from the lovely Carrie over at All I Know Now and decided to write out a page full of things that make me happy. Little things, like toe pads (which you will see on my humble list below), and somewhat larger things like electricity and Internet connection. 
Really, I would be very, very limited without Internet. I couldn't even do my schoolwork!
...Then again, maybe no Internet wouldn't be such a horrendous thing... ;)


November's installment of Things That Make Me Happy:
You may notice that I originally spelled "hair ties" as "hair tyes;" I was still quite groggy when I wrote this list. Things like these happen when I don't get enough beauty sleep. 
Of course, the things that make me happy are not limited to this single-page list! I'm already thinking of more things that I'll be adding to next month's edition.

I've titled this post "'Thankful' = 'Happy'?" because I got to thinking: is being thankful really and truly the same as being happy? I, for one, have had many an occasion on which I have been "thankful" but not entirely. It seems as if I'm in a constant state of wanting - whenever I get something new, as a gift or bought with my own money, I'm content for a day or two, then I'm back to revising my wishlist once again. I have all I could ever need and then some, but no matter how much I have, I'm always wanting more. That's not really happiness then, is it?
People living in hiding, in poverty, riddled with sickness, evacuated from their homes, living with only one parent or no parents at all, without a place to sleep, without near enough to eat or any clean water to drink, no money for education... these are the people who would give all they could to help another. These are the people who are glad to be alive; they're filled with hope of a brighter future for themselves and their children. These are the people who love unconditionally and ask for only one thing: love. Love is all they need, and once they've found it, they're happy. If they have each other, they could be dying of illness and starvation, but they're happy.
I believe that true happiness comes from being thankful - truly thankful - of what you have. I've grown up in a loving home with two devoted parents, a strong roof over my head, plenty of income, insurance for any situation, and enough food to last me for months. I have never had to sleep on the streets or beg for money. I have never been separated from my parents against my will, and have always felt safe. I have never had to hide to read my Bible, or sneak food for my little brothers. I have been immensely blessed to lead this life.
I have all that I need; what else is there to ask for? Apparently, there's plenty to want; but I'm trying my hardest to be happy with what I have, and to be thankful for the little things.

As for you, dear reader, I challenge you to fill out a page (or two, or three, or however many you please!) of little things that make you happy; things that you don't appreciate enough, things that alter your life in big ways, no matter how little they are. 

Have a spectacular Thanksgiving if you celebrate it; and have a glorious normal day if you don't! :) 





x  Janessa

No comments:

Post a Comment