August 21, 2014

New Discoveries ~ Thinking Out Loud #12

First and foremost, Amanda, I am so sorry for not linking up yet again. I promise I still love you. <3 ? 
I have a reason for going MIA! I was actually lying in bed at 11 o'clock last Thursday night, when I remembered "I never published my TOL post! Dang it dang it dang it dang it dang it dang it dang. it."
And that was that. I didn't get around to posting anything, and aside from sharing some of my favorites, I didn't post at all between then and now.
The Worst Ever Blogger Award goes to yours truly! :'''''D (*sobbing*)

[more info here!]
 Fun fact: it has taken me 3+ months to memorize the URL for the ToL page...I'm not quite sure why I have it memorized, but now I do. Hooray for me...?

On to the good stuff:


I.  I have made a few new discoveries this week, including a couple of blogs that I didn't know existed until I went on a binge and was left wondering how in the world I didn't know they existed! These fantastic blogs include Minimalist Baker, Hyperbole and a Half, and an honorable mention that I follow on Instagram: Casey's Wholesome Kitchen
I found Minimalist Baker a couple of months ago whilst searching for a coconut cookie recipe. I later rediscovered it when I found a gorgeous tortilla soup recipe that I had to try, and a chocolate almond milk recipe that I definitely had to try. Both were splendid; including the cookies I made months ago. I've almost never been so lucky to find a blog where no recipe goes wrong! Granted, I've only tried three out of the bazillion [and counting] they have posted; now I am determined to made all the foods. 
I stumbled upon Hyperbole and a Half whilst reading an article on depression [random fact: I read articles about this and that when I feel the impulse]. The illustrations are hilarious (frankly, they're way better than I could ever do; especially with Microsoft paint. I never was good with that), and the stories themselves crack me up. Allie is a comical genius with the perfect words for every situation; the drawings are an extra treat. 
Casey's Wholesome Kitchen is the perfect solution for someone like me who is looking for a nice treat for one. She has some great recipes, and she takes gorgeous pictures! I love it when I can find healthy, single-serving recipes from someone who's not all that well-known, but knows what she's talking about. 

II.  I discovered that dancing means a lot to me. Not just dancing, but the fact that I have officially been moved up to the advanced level at my studio(*screaming*)!!!!!  My initial reaction:
[source]
Take note: at my studio, moving up into the advanced class doesn't make you a pro. I am by no means training to be a prima ballerina; this is Indiana, not NYC. We don't have that stuff here.
Nonetheless, I am still incredibly excited. This is what I've been looking forward to since I was four! 

III.  I discovered that I am not meant to be a professional baker. I tried making blueberry-banana bread sans recipe, and it went a little something like this:
Me: I'm going to be the greatest baker in the world; everyone will make my recipes and I'll have my own cooking show like Paula Deen but healthy!
*two days later, the entire loaf spoils for an unknown reason*
Me: Never again. 
I kid you not. The whole thing smelled rotten and I wanted to cry because it baked beautifully and the slice that I got the chance to try before it spoiled was actually pretty tasty.

IV.  I have also discovered that I don't like cabbage. I tried making a salad with it... Holy mother of nasty, that stuff was horrid!
Mom later informed me that you are supposed to remove the outer leaves and not consume them because that's the tough, bitter-tasting part. Whoops.

V.  I was looking at star signs (or sun signs?) - not because I believe in them, but just for fun - and I tell you, everything about Cancer is spot-on Janessa's personality traits. Dependable, caring, moody, self-pitying, loyal, over-sensitive, clingy... judging from this one source, I AM a Cancer.
It wasn't so accurate on my friends though. Don't be so quick to believe, young grasshopper. 

VI.  As if I didn't already know this, I discovered that I take a minimal amount of photographs throughout the week. I took one selfie...
...and that was it (yes, it was on a Sunday).

VII.  I have discovered that garage sales are a colossal waste of time. True, we only sold three days of the week for seven hours each day, but still; it was the most boring event of August. We ended up taking 3/4 of the supplies to Goodwill; in short, we sold about 1/4 of the stuff we spent hours setting out.
On the bright side, I made $10!

VIII.  This isn't really a new discovery per-say, because I discovered it in early April, but it is a discovery nonetheless.
I discovered that there's something magical about seeing someone in person whom you've never seen before. For example: I went to a Bastille concert in April (I wrote a blog post about it too) and it was light a light bulb went off in my head.
These guys actually exist. They're real people, they're really here, and I'm really seeing them with my eyes. They aren't just voices on an album! They're real!!!
It was in that moment that I was utterly sold, and have been a true fan ever since. Before the concert I was one of those "yeah, I've heard their songs" people, but now I'm one of those "HAVE YOU HEARD THEIR SONGS?!?!" people. See the difference?

IX.  Looking back on that concert recap post that I wrote up on Weebly, I discovered that I'm a little nostalgic for when Simply Janessa was a Weebly blog as well...
*tear*
I feel so much better having just one blog to manage, but I worked so hard on the other one, I almost feel bad for neglecting it.  Of course, I'm not deleting it anytime soon - there is quality content as well as precious memories tucked away in there! 

X.  As you may have noticed, I finally discovered how to take a screenshot with my laptop! I feel so accomplished, it's almost pathetic. 



That is all for this week. I swear it, someday I will remember to link up every week!
Join in on the fun!




~JK

3 comments:

  1. Yay for your advanced level at your studio. I have never heard of those blogs either. I will have to check them out as well. -L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heyyyy at least you managed to take a selfie! That's one more selfie than I've managed to take in the past... oh geez, I don't even know how long. I really should get on that. And I had to laugh at your "these people actually exist" comment, because that's exactly how I felt when going to my first blogging retreat and meeting bloggers for the first time. Was so bizarre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to go on a blogger retreat someday. It looks like so much fun!

      Delete