May 15, 2014

Thinking Out Loud #3

If you don't know what TOL is, you can go here and check out all the details. :)



I.  I went to the Amish and scratch & dent stores on Wednesday and stocked up. Among the numerous products I found was this:

I have been looking everywhere for these! I used to be obsessed with the Carnation drink mixes (they're super good in chocolate-peanut butter-banana smoothies) and now I have found ones that have no sugar added. *double fist pump*

In addition, I came across a gallon-sized Ziploc bag filled with a jumble of protein/meal bars...
...yes...
...yes...
...so much yesssss.

Luna bars are my favorite bars so far! Out of the many flavors I've gotten my hands (and mouth) on in the past, the carrot cake still surpasses them all. If only I could switch the lemon out with them...there are nine lemon ones in that bag^^

In the entire mix is one Atkins chocolate peanut butter bar; two strawberry Soyjoy bars, a Fiber One oats & chocolate bar; two chocolate chip cookie dough and two chocolate peanut butter Luna Protein bars; two NuGo Free dark chocolate bars; four Nature Valley soft baked oatmeal squares in peanut butter flavor, and one in cinnamon brown sugar flavor; one chocolate mint Clif Builder's bar; one chocolate chip cookie dough Larabar; and nine lemon zest Luna bars.

Lastly, I scored these babes:

I tried the strawberry ones last time, and this time they had even more flavors to choose from!

Lots of packaged protein shakes have twice as many calories and just as much sugar as a candy bar; these have only 110 calories and 7 grams of sugar, with 12 grams of protein! Plus, they don't taste like cardboard and butt. That's a win right there, in my opinion.

[I tried to find a link to the website, and I found that, allegedly, the Evolve products were - or are being - discontinued. Boo.]  :(

II.  This show:






















I watch this on Hulu when I go for walks on the treadmill. I just watched episode seven and I'm praying it doesn't go downhill anytime soon. Most shows I've seen (*cough* Grimm *cough*) have really sucked after the second season.
I defy the inevitable.

III.  As you may be aware, it was Mother's Day last Sunday. I may have also made it aware that I love baking.
Mom has this thing where she lets me think I'll be able to bake something for her on birthdays/special occasions, then she ends up baking stuff herself. So this time, I planned months in advance and combined two of her favorites - Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and cheesecake - to make this:
She gave it the thumbs-up, which is quite rare as I usually try and make things healthier (or at least semi-healthy). This time, I made sure to not change anything in the recipe, no matter how much butter and sugar was involved. That was a real breakthrough for me; I don't think I've baked a "normal" cake in a couple years - I've subbed in applesauce or bananas for butter, and honey and sweetener in place of sugar.
Dad actually told me that this cheesecake was so quality I could've sold it in a restaurant.
Booyah! *ultimate achievement unlocked*

IV.  In pretty much all my TOL posts I've been ranting about schoolwork...I apologize. This time I'm raving about Dad's schoolwork, because he finished his finals for this semester and has received at least six weeks off from his studies.
[Insert confetti poppers and multicolored balloons]

V.  I've stared wearing my dreaded old glasses again, in preparation for the new ones I bought last week.
I'm trying to get used to wearing them around, because frankly, I just don't have the patience to wear my contact lenses all the time. They dry out my eyes and make me look as if I'm on the verge of tears - I have had to explain myself far too many times.

VI.  I have been drinking coffee products on a daily basis; cappuccino, straight-up coffee with a little creamer, homemade mochas, you get the gist of it. I have not yet reached the point where I rely on caffeinated beverages to wake me up and/or keep me going throughout the day, but I have coffee more than three times a week - my limit was once a week, which is a great example of my poor self-control.
*inserts another ecard quote*

VII.  The weather is not looking well for this weekend. My friend and I were wanting to camp out for her birthday, but as the forecast shows, that's probably definitely not going to happen. :p  But despair not, for we have a stove and we have kabob sticks. You see where I'm going with this...

As for today, I have much planned and must be off. See you soon  :)



~JK

2 comments:

  1. Now that cake is LEGIT. I'm all for making healthy substitutions in baking, but sometimes you just need the real thing. That way you can be satisfied with a slice instead of feeling like you need to eat 3 or 4. And if it makes you feel any better, I drink coffee every day. Sometimes twice lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you count cappuccino as coffee, I drink two (or more) cups of coffee a day. I'm beginning to believe I have a problem formulating that I'm going to regret in the future. XD

      Delete