February 10, 2015

What I've Learned About "Healthy Living"

There are a lot of myths out there in the fitness world. 
Trust me, I've done extensive research, and not everything I've found has proven to be true.
That being said, I should probably note that I am not a health and fitness expert, nor am I a trained professional. You should always, always, always consult your doctor before changing up your diet - don't ever consult the Internet. It doesn't have your medical records.
On the topic of food: Ever heard "you can never have too much water"? I'm here to tell you that's a lie. You can have too much water. I used to stuff myself so full of H2O, I could barely stand up straight, let alone eat enough to offer my body adequate nutrition. 

And what about "fill up on fruits and vegetables!" Fruits and veg are extremely important when it comes to vitamins and minerals, but if that's all you ever eat, you won't be getting adequate nutrition, believe it or not. Your body needs complex carbohydrates and protein, which - in very small amounts - can be found in some vegetables; it also needs fat, which (except for avocados) isn't very plentiful in either food group.
I think most of the contemplation I've done, personally, is on "soul foods." I have a huge sweet tooth. I'd go so far as to say the majority of the teeth in my mouth are sweet teeth. I could care less about chicken salads and chili dogs; give me cookies and ice cream and chocolates and cake! When I was struggling the most in life, I found it was hardest for me to give up sweets when it came to "junk" foods. I beat myself up the most over any sweets I indulged in. It was easy for me to give up chips and soda and red meat, and if I had a bit here and there, it was no big deal. But sweet foods were the "problem" for me.

Personally, I don't believe soul foods should ever be cut out of a person's diet, unless directed by that individual's trusted doctor. Even then, I wouldn't expect any doctor to recommend completely cutting anything out, unless in a worst-case scenario. Your brain (er, my brain, at least) reacts horribly if you try to go cold turkey, or vow to never again eat a certain food. 

On the topic of exercise: I don't believe you need an hour a day, or even half an hour to keep myself maintained, at least not at this point in time. Of course, age, height, weight, lifestyle, BMI, muscle mass, and diet all come into play here, but for me I've found 20-30 minutes 4-5 times a week is solid. 
I used to force myself to exercise - mind you, it was light exercise like jogging on the treadmill or lifting 8-pound dumbbells a couple times a week - but it was my mindset behind it that created an unhealthy relationship between me and working out. I enjoyed running for a while, but as I continued to force myself to run more and more, I started to dislike it, until I absolutely despised it. 

The same occurred with all exercise, with the exception of dancing. I have always, and probably will always, adored dance. The same cannot be said for lifting, biking, and swimming, however. Even when I was beginning to recover, I was still forcing myself to exercise, to "melt off the fat" and "trim the limbs." It created more stress for me; the endorphins released during exercise are there to relieve stress, but I seldom felt them. 

I would get out into the freezing cold pool and swim laps. I slugged out into the sweltering heat and pumped my bike pedals until my glutes and hamstrings felt like they might never move again. I lifted tiny dumbbells until I physically could not raise my arms anymore. Maybe that regimen works for some people, but for me, it just brought me down further and further. My heart wasn't in it for the right reasons, and even after I had practically no fat left on me, I still believed I had more to lose.

Now I follow along with pilates videos a few times a week, and I enjoy them. I look forward to being able to perform the moves with good form, and complete all the repetitions. My growing muscles make me feel much more attractive than my bones ever did.

I repeat: I am not a trained professional. I recognize that every body and brain and heart is different; the things that are important to me might not be as crucial to someone else. Person A might react much better than Person B in one situation, and vice-versa. 
If everyone was exactly the same, we would all live perfect lives, wouldn't we? That'd be kind of boring, I think. 
Please take care of yourselves. Don't restrict yourself from anything unless it's really harming you or someone you love. Don't let food or exercise become your #1 priority; I know it seems like a logical idea, but when you look back on your life and realize how messed up it was, and you see all you could've done to prevent that trouble, you'll be glad you didn't obsess over anything and you had a really chill life. That's actually something I wouldn't know from experience. But I imagine it must be nice. 

Don't hurt yourselves. You're all beautiful and wonderful and intelligent, and worth so much more than you think. 


x Janessa

No comments:

Post a Comment