June 17, 2014

Dance Recital XLII ~ June 2014

This weekend was my dance company's 42nd dance recital. We had rehearsals on Tuesday & Wednesday, and performances Thursday, Friday, & Saturday. The rehearsals went as well as they usually do (not fantastic, but not horrendous) but the performances went better than I had expected.

On Thursday, a good majority of my friends came to see me.



It was delightful having them there; but before I went onstage, I thought I was going to be sick.
(I didn't, by the way.)
Afterwards, Dad took my sister and I and my friends Kaylee, Kennedi, and Emily to Taco Bell - as is tradition - at about 10 o'clock at night. Late dinners are very normal for us performers. ;)

Friday wasn't anything special, really. My mom was the only one who came to see me, and she had seen both of my dances as many times as I had. I wasn't worried in the slightest, until right before I stepped out on stage. I didn't get that "oh crap I'm gonna hurl" feeling, but it was pretty hot backstage. Not a comfy feeling.
However, Friday's performance wasn't near as hectic as Thursday's, which helped a great deal.

Saturday's (final) performance took place at 2 PM rather than 7 PM, which made my morning a lot more rushed but my after-performance attitude a lot more positive. Needless to say, I wasn't exactly cheery after the curtains closed. But I'm getting ahead of myself...
Before the performance, the owner of the studio (my ballet/pointe teacher) gave out scholarships and introduced the seniors for the last time this year. Many tears were shed, but on a happy note, my friend Hannah received a scholarship - which I believe is one year of classes free - for ballet. I am immensely proud of this girl; she deserved it so much. :)
The final dances were bittersweet. I almost cried during advanced ballet, knowing that after this year, I have only three years left. Yikes. I'm praying I get moved up into the advanced class; Hannah's last year is coming up and I do NOT want to be stuck in a lower class with no friends and no hope for my future.
That last bit was a little over-dramatic, I admit.
After the second act was complete and I said my goodbyes to everyone I could; Mom, my sister, my friends Johanna and Deborah and I went out for dinner, followed by ice cream from Save-A-Lot. Very classy.

I have yet to receive my class pictures and individual photos - I'll edit this post afterward. :)



~JK

2 comments:

  1. You look super cute and happy! I don't know how you dancers do it. It took me for-ev-er to even learn the stupid Cupid Shuffle - I'm not even kidding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It does take a lot of persistence.
      (It took me a long time to learn Cottoneye Joe; you're not alone!)

      Delete