June 02, 2014

10 Day You Challenge ~ Day 7


Ah, it looks as if day seven is upon us. Time to share one four of my favorites: books! :D

1.  The Children of Hurin by J. R. R. Tolkein
I love love love this book. I can't get over it. I have read it twice over, and I need to read it again to re-enlighten myself. Tolkien was and is the greatest novelist whose works I've read. This book is one of those that one can read over and over and still uncover something new every time.

2. The Lost Years of Merlin by T. A. Barron 
I held high expectations for this series, because a friend raved about it to me. This first book was incredible. I couldn't put it down, and I held further expectations for the rest of the series, but after the second one, I wasn't personally as interested any longer. I skimmed through most of the fifth one; I read half of it, skipped to the ending, and moved to the next book. I'm almost finished with the final trilogy (The Great Tree of Avalon) but I no longer hold my expectations high.

3.  In the After by Demitria Lunetta
If this book ends up being made into a movie, I have the main characters casted already. Just sayin.
I adored this book like no other. I'm itching to read the sequel because this book ends in a cliffhanger.
I.can't.stand.cliffhangers.

4.  The Bible
a.k.a. the only non-fiction book I have ever loved. Technically, the Bible is composed of many different books - in which case, Romans is my favorite book, and Esther is my favorite story.


This may be against the rules of this challenge, but I have to make an honorable mention.
Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott is the only book I have ever cried after reading. I legitimately had to leave the room and sit on the floor, weeping, because the ending just left me so heartbroken.
I don't recommend this book if you're sensitive to things like sexual abuse and extreme psychological distress. It's a short read - I finished it over the course of three hours - but even in such a short number of words, it did not fail to leave me scarred. It's an incredible eye-opener, because the things that happened to the protagonist have happened (and are still happening) to real people in the real world, and that sickens me.
I will most certainly be reading more from this author.




~JK

No comments:

Post a Comment