April 23, 2014

WIAW #1 ~ New to This...

I feel the need to introduce myself before this officially commences:

Hi. My name is Janessa, and I'm new to the WIAW bandwagon. I'm relatively new to blogging in general. Serious blogging, that is. 
I feel that, to run a successful blog, I need to start joining in on things as a way of gaining recognition.
Having a couple of friends who read my blog is nice, but I'd like to make more friends; particularly ones who are not-so-new to the world of blogging and can help me out should the situation arise.

And that in short is my reason for joining in on WIAW. Amanda was the first person I ever saw do this, and she's been keeping up with it for a long time. I've put it off for months and I think I'm finally ready to participate.


Wednesday is Waffle Day for me...which means I got to take a couple waffles out of the freezer from last week and dress them up before my visit with the dietitian.

I used this waffle recipe, but subbed the banana for applesauce. Popped two bad boys in the toaster, mashed up half a banana, and nuked some frozen blueberries.

Funny story: my appointment was scheduled for the 25th, not the 23rd. Still, we were able to meet for a good forty minutes before her next client arrived. 
The dietitian gave me some insight on what I should be eating along with how much of it. I visited her once before when I was 13, so it was nice to meet with her again and get more information given the changes in recent events. 

After my appointment accidentally early visit, I ran back home to make myself a drink to tide me over before lunch. 

powdered spiced chai tea mixed with chocolate protein powder

Also, I was in much need of bladder relief and I'm afraid of public bathrooms...
Thanks to Dad's trusty Keurig, we (Mom, the brothers, the sister and I) were back out the door in less than five minutes. We went to the Amish country and went shopping at a bulk foods store and a scratch & dent store. By the time we returned home I was absolutely ravenous and in my hurry I forgot to photograph my mess of Crispix cereal, cottage cheese, soy nuts, sunflower seeds, and 1/2 an apple. I did, however, remember to photograph my salad.

Romaine lettuce, craisins, 'spicy caujan' sesame sticks, and un-photographed Italian dressing.

A crazy combination, but I was hungry and it did the trick. The salad tasted way better than I had expected. New favorite for sure!

I sat down to do some schoolwork, but I ended up spending half an hour browsing through other blogs and touching up on mine. I did, eventually, get around to an Algebra lesson and a couple other subjects. 
By the time 3:30 rolled around, I felt it was high time for an afternoon snack. All that brain work really stresses the stomach juices and such...

Granola with dark chocolate and sunflower seeds; dried pineapple; cashews and peanuts

I have been crazy about this granola for so long! I ate my last batch a long, long time ago after going on and on and on about how much I loved it. I have no idea why I ever stopped making it; I used to have quart-sized Ziploc bags full of it! It's just as good as I ever remember it being. <3

Also, this cappuccino mix is my new addiction. I'm not a caramel person - I never have liked the sticky texture and super-sweet taste - but oh man this stuff is so good! If you're ever in the Northern Indiana area, hit up the Amish stores; they make some amazing cappuccino mix.

I had forgotten about dance class - which I had in an hour - so I packed up a quick dinner before rushing around trying to get my pointe stuff all together.

A tuna wrap with mustard and lettuce; steamed brussels sprouts, baby carrots, and soybeans; string cheese.

I made it back from an hour of pointe, a little late but better than usual. Wednesday night youth group was held outside, across the street from the church under a pavilion with a couple picnic benches. A very exciting game of duck-duck-goose commenced once we were back inside; twenty minutes later, Dad came to pick me up and I was home in time for a little winding down.

While in the Amish store, I came across some sour cream & onion popcorn powder. So I made popcorn and tried it out. The verdict: very tasty. 

I added peanuts for a little protein boost, and I made a little cup of cocoa (not pictured) for the indulgent side of me. 

And there you have it: my first What I Ate Wednesday. :)


Note: I have since realized that WIAW is supposed to be written on Tuesday so that it can be posted on Wednesday. I was confused and shall remember for next week. Maybe. Hopefully.